Removing mold from your house isn’t something that you have to do every day. However, it’s something you DO need to do when you find even a tiny amount of mold growing in or around your house. This means ANY type of mold.
Most molds, whether or not they’re toxic, can still be the root of allergy issues that can be severe with some people. For this reason, mold removal should be a priority when you start spring cleaning.
Before you expect too much of yourself, you should remember that it’s not possible to physically remove each tiny dot of fungus that may be in your house. You can, however, keep the contamination to a minimum by keeping your house clean. For instance, try taking your shoes off just outside or inside the front door. Shoes can track in dirt, which can turn into a breeding ground for mold. Brushing or hosing your pets down before they re-enter your house may also be a good idea. Using a dehumidifier is another great idea for preventing mold.
There are many places that mold can hide inside your house. These areas are usually dark and cool so check bathtubs, under cabinets, in, around, and behind appliances as well as basements for any problems. The laundry room and clothes hamper can also be a source for mold growth.
You might be able to simply use a good mold cleaner to get rid of any mold you may find. However, this will depend on the kind of mold it is. If you’ve got water damage mold, then you’ll need more help than a simple cleaner. In that case, you’ll need to buy mold spray that’s specifically designed for the type of mold you have. You must follow the directions from the manufacturer of the product. Also, be sure to wear protective gear such as rubber gloves, respirator and eye goggles because this will most likely be toxic mold.
In the event that you’ve got a severe case of damage, you’ll probably want to call in the professionals. This can become pretty costly depending on where the growth is and how much it has spread. Be prepared to pay anywhere from $500 to $5,000.
The thing to remember is that no matter how much or little mold you find; you MUST clean it up. If you don’t, the problem will just get worse and health issues can result.